Buddhist Relationships - A Few Comments on Attachment

Writings about zen Buddhism, yoga, social justice and politics, the arts, and life in general.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Buddhist Relationships - A Few Comments on Attachment



I received an interesting question from a reader, and thought I'd share my answer here.

How does one enter into and maintain a relationship without forming attachments? It's just one of the concepts of Buddhism that just don! 't seem to fit for me personally, either because I consider attachments to be very important for me, or it could just be that I misunderstand that particular concept. What are your thoughts?


This is the answer I wrote back to her.

I think there are a few ways to look at attachment when it comes to Buddhism. Part of the challenge is that many of the teachers and teachings that were brought to the U.S. were from monastic-based Buddhist practice, where renunciation and celibacy are centralized. Which causes some trouble for most of us who are living "regular" lives "in the world."

The Buddha, though, actually taught different teachings and practices geared towards monastics, and others toward lay folks. And since the Buddha's time, plenty of additional teachings and even entire schools of Buddhism have been focused on supporting lay folks.

When it comes to relationships, the way I understand it is that loving yhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifour partner, or children, or parents, etc. is intimately tied to letting go of your stories about who that person is or isn't, and learning how to be completely with them everyday as they are. I also believe it's learning how to loosen up the grip you might have around any expectations - about your partner, yourself, and the relationship itself.

Now, that doesn't mean that anything goes, but more that you do your best to drop off any behaviors or thought patterns that are overly needy or controlling, and learn to do or say what you need to without attachment to specific results.
__________

In addition to this, I wrote a post in May about sexual desire that takes up attachment from a different angle.

If anyone has any additional thoughts, or if you have a completely different view, feel free to leave a comment.

0comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My PhotoNathanis a writer interested in both the big questions of life and the everyday details. He has been a Zen practitioner and student of yoga for a little over a decade now.If you'd like to contact me, my e-mail address is ngthompson04 at yahoo.comView my complete profile

Donations

Thank you for your support!

Followers

Life As a Human Magazine

Life As a Human Magazine

Bloggers.com

NathanGT - Find me on Bloggers.com

Buddhist Flavored Blogs

  • 5 days ago
  • 1 week ago
  • 1 week ago
  • 2 weeks ago
  • 2 weeks ago
  • 2 weeks ago
  • 2 weeks ago
  • 4 weeks ago
  • 4 weeks ago
  • 5 weeks ago
  • Yoga Blogs

    Blog Archive

    Watermark template. Powered by Blogger.
    Creative Commons License
    dangerous harvests by nathan thompson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
    Based on a work at dangerousharvests.blogspot.c! om.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Dangerous Harvests: 2nd Anniversary Post Week

    From The Under 35 Project: “A Good Death”

    Ikeda calls for “nuclear abolition summit”