Squrriel Friends

Writings about zen Buddhism, yoga, social justice and politics, the arts, and life in general.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Squrriel Friends



About a week ago, I noticed an overturned squirrel in the road, mouth and eyes wide open, but otherwise untouched. Maybe a heart attack victim; I don't know.

Yesterday, as I came upon the body while on my bicycle, I found another squirrel pausing, checking out the scene. The living squirrel seemed cur! ious, in terested in what was there, without really any extra jumpiness or fear. Just observing fully. For a moment, life and death came together, not separate at all. The living squirrel lifting its leg over the dead squirrel's body as I approached. And then it happened: the living squirrel ran, spooked by the oncoming, spinning bicycle wheel - and the giant figure sitting on top of it.

Seems to me this is how most of us handle life and death. We are curious and interested at times, but too often, something giant and/or spinning scares us away from our true lives.

How to see through the mirage? Time to go sit with that.

0comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My PhotoNathanis a writer interested in both the big questions of life and the everyday details. He has been a Zen practitioner and student of yoga for a little over a decade now.If you'd like to contact me, my e-mail address is ngthompson04 at yahoo.comView my complete profile

Donations

Thank you for your support!

Followers

Life As a Human Magazine

Life As a Human Magazine

Bloggers.com

NathanGT - Find me on Bloggers.com

Buddhist Flavored Blogs

  • 1 week ago
  • 1 week ago
  • 2 weeks ago
  • 2 weeks ago
  • 4 weeks ago
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 month ago
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 months ago
  • Yoga Blogs

    Blog Archive

    Waterma rk template. Powered by Blogger.
    Creative Commons License
    dangerous harvests by nathan thompson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
    Based on a work at dangerousharvests.blogspot.com.