Has Your First Memory Shaped Your Life?

By Mary Jaksch

What is your first memory? I dont mean what your parents told you, but a dont-understand-the-words memory. It is said that our first memory has the power to shape our lives.

What can YOU remember?

My first memory was one of white-hot rage. I was in a kind of harness and on a leash. I was struggling furiously.

Later, as a teenager, I asked my mother about this memory because I couldnt make sense of it.

She said, You were two years old at the time, and we were moving from England to Germany. I was so nervous of losing you on the crowded ferry, that I had you in a childs harness and on a lead. However, when we got on to the boat, you threw such a tantrum that people started to gather in a circle around us.

One woman said, Oh, the poor little girl! Do take that aweful thing off her. I was at my wits end because I just couldnt calm you down. Finally, I undid the harness. You immediately disappeared into the crowd.
You mean, I ran away?
Yes. Your father and I looked for you everywhere. In the end I was beside myself. I had visions of you falling overboard. After two hours, the Captain made an announcement and everyone on the boat started to search for you.
Where was I?
When we finally found you, you were happily exploring the crew quarters. You told me with a huge grin that youd had a look at all parts of the big boatie.

So thats my first memory. I still dont respond well to people trying to control me. It doesnt seem to work that well and I love adventure!

So, you could say that this first memory did shape my life.

What is your first memory? And how has it shaped your life
?

If you enjoyed this article, please click below to get free updates delivered to your inbox (PLUS receive my FREE eBook, Overcome Anything!)

Click here for FREE Goodlife ZEN updates plus BONUS Ebook


Popular posts from this blog

Famous Abbot Takes Up Monastery Dispute

Stephen Batchelor err on accumulated karma

Ikeda calls for “nuclear abolition summit”