Distinguishing between heaven and hell

To see, and of course to know, absolutely, that I am not any of the Five Aggregates or skandhas involves praj (often rendered by the word wisdom).

Therefore then, O monks, whatever material form there is, past, future or present, inside or outside, gross or subtle, low or eminent, far or near, all this is not mine, I am not this, it is not my self. [Ditto with the rest of the aggregates.] In this way it must be seen, in truth, by means of correct discriminative knowledge (praj) (Catusparisat Sutra).

In the above passage, praj is not about the denial of self. It is realizing that this carnal body that I wear, so to speak, is not really who I am. In addition, praj is my ability to discern between true reality and this empty, illusory world that I live and work in.

Praj is also my ability to distinguish between pure Mind and my ordinary mind which is always changing; which is analogous to water waves which have no real existence. By means of praj, all of my thoughts and emotions are realized to be empty. There is only Mind (cittamatra) which is without peer and absolute.

Praj is really our true nature, or the immediacy of the absolute within us, that beholds itself directly. At the same time, praj is able distinguish itself from its empty, illusory phenomena including the paca-skandha (five aggregates). By doing this praj makes the absolute more and more outshining, leaving samsara behind. This is praj perfection (paramita).


Popular posts from this blog

Famous Abbot Takes Up Monastery Dispute

Stephen Batchelor err on accumulated karma

Ikeda calls for “nuclear abolition summit”