The Three Questions

skip to main | skip to sidebar

Bits of zen flotsam & jetsam from the daily practice of a zen fool with shards of modern Buddhist art from my studio. Sometimes cranky, sometimes inspiring, mostly entertaining.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Three Questions

Pyramid Lake, Jasper, Alberta"Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung?" Did you ever wake up asking yourself this question? Maybe not in those exact words but you know what I mean. Ajahn Brahm, an upside down Therevaden monk, has cleverly anticipated our question and written a book to help us find the culprit. How can you not love this title? I'm a total sucker for a sense of humourespecially if there's a handful of wisdom thrown in to seal the deal . And he's a good listen here, with a generous truckload of Dharma talks.

In one of the stories from the book, an emperor after much study, found he only had to ask 3 questions to receive all the wise guidance he needed.

Here are the questions. Don't cheat. Answer first. Read second. Find out your batting average. R! emember Babe Ruth.

1 When is the most important time?
2 Who is the most important person?
3 What is the most important thing to do?

That's right, according to Ajahn Brahm, answer these questions correctly and you can never go wrong in any situation.

Let's compare notes. You probably guessed that the answer we're looking for in number 1 is "now". You're a good test taker. Now if we could just remember this in each moment, especially the dung loaded ones!

Question 2. I got this one wrong. The interesting answer is, "the person you're with" which includes you! Ajahn Brahm reminds us, "Communication and love, can only be shared when the one you are with, no matter who they are, is the most important person in the world for you, at that time. They feel it. They know it. They respond." He points out that when we are the only one around then we are the most important person we're with! " Do you ever say, "Good morning, me. have a nice day!" he asks.

And question # 3, did you get this one? Nada. I was really stumped. One answer, for all situations? What is the most important thing to do? "to care" he says,which he describes as bringing together "careful and caring. The answer illustrates that it is where we are coming from that is the most important thing."

Now we can go out into the world armed with 3 things and not be dangerous. We have some new tools in the spiritual toolbox, especially helpful when the next truckload of dung is delivered.

2comments:

Mystic Meanderingsaid...

Wow. These questions - and answers - will surely stick with me, as I didn't get any of them!

#1 - Bedtime
#2 - Depends
#3 - Just live life...

Not very "spiritual" I know... But good for a laugh!

From the Dung Heap :)

November 6, 2011 10:13 PM
ZenDotStudiosaid...

Mystic - Ha! love answer #1 especially, yes, why didn't I think of that, especially during this hibernation season! Perhaps we are spiritual dung beetles???

November 6, 2011 11:01 PM

Post a Comment

Other Places To Find Zendotstudio

Copyright Information

All material (art & writing) appearing on this blog has been created by me and belongs to me. If you wish to use it in whole or part, please contact me for permission. All rights reserved. Thank-you.

My Etsy Shop

S lideshow

Loading...

Followers

About Me

My PhotoZenDotStudioBuddhism & Art...if I had to pick two words that give an overview of what I get up to in this world those would be my choices. Buddhism is the ground upon which I rest all else. I like to think it brings me some sanity. It helps me think in some logical way about what I am doing and look at it as deeply as possible. What did I just do? Why ? What's that all about? ...To try and look at my life without sliding over things or fooling myself...To be present for life, not rejecting or preferring one experience over another. Buddhist practice makes my life full and rich, sometimes filled with joy and sometimes with a deep experience of the suffering present in this world. After all those words does it seem odd to say that it is the simplicity of Zen that appeals to me? This inclination to simplicity pulls me to try and integrate my practice and ! work, to paint Buddhas, to observe my process as I work.I am drawn to mixed media, integrating script and words with images and colour.View my complete profile

Blog Archive

!

My Blog List


Popular posts from this blog

Famous Abbot Takes Up Monastery Dispute

Stephen Batchelor err on accumulated karma

Ikeda calls for “nuclear abolition summit”